Tuesday, March 25, 2014

10 on the Go Snacks

If there is one excuse I hear often on why people don't eat healthy, it's TRAVEL.
"I travel a lot."
"I drive a lot for my job."
"I'm always on the go."
Believe me, these are very valid reasons why it can be harder to eat healthy, but just adding a few smart, portable staples to your diet can help you maintain your physique and even lose weight, even on the road!
I travel a lot for work so I have to be prepared.  Here are a ten healthy snacks I bring with me that you may consider adding to your own on-the-go lifestyle!
1. Tuna Pouches: portable and with a plastic spoon or fork, you can have protein right where you are. I don't always recommend doing this one on a plane though; some people don't appreciate the smell.
2. Protein Bars: This is actually the one time when I really love to have a protein bar as a meal or snack. Seems like when I'm traveling, I feel like I have a "pass" to eat bad. With yummy quest protein bars, I feel like I'm having a candy bar, but I'm getting healthy protein with little sugar or guilt (and no one in the seat next to me minds the smell, LOL).
3. Dried Fruit: dried cranberries, mangoes, apples, blueberries, etc. These are other treats that make me feel like I am having candy. How about REAL FRUIT snacks instead of fruit "shaped" snacks. More fiber and antioxidants. Just take a look at the package ingredients first, to make sure you're selecting brands that don't sneak in extra sugar. Blueberries and strawberries are my favorite.
4. Beef, Chicken or Turkey Jerky: have you noticed the "protein theme" here yet? Protein helps keep you satiated, so I love dried meat snacks, and they don't need any refrigeration.
5. Canned Fruit: I pack a few small cans of pineapple (skip the "pineapple in syrup" options), because I don't need to worry about leakage from cans and sometimes the juice helps with dehydration of flying. Make sure the cans are small, because you cannot have more than 3 oz. of liquid on a plane. These are great for road trips!
6. Protein Shakes: another great option, you can get water on the plan and have your protein powder in your carry on or for road trips. These are also great if you don't like the tuna pouch or jerky options.
7. Granola: I personally love me some nice paleo, grain-free granola. It's basically a lot of nuts and coconut — full of healthy fats. This is high in calories, but it's nice, healthy fats and calories, and oh so yum!
8. Chopped Fruits & Veggies: Sturdy fruits like apple slices can be put in baggies to munch on, and veggies such as baby carrots and snap peas are my two faves. These are also full of fiber and water, and can help with both satiety and dehydration.
9. Nuts: Nuts are so easy, portable and if you forgot to bring snacks, you can usually find these in the airport right next to all the tempting candy! Definitely a healthier bet than a snickers bar. Almonds and cashews are my top two picks! Look for the raw, non-salted versions to keep dehydration at bay. 
10. Chicken & Salad: Last but not least-- if you have forgotten to pack ALL of these things, you can usually find a grilled chicken salad somewhere in an airport. It may cost you $10 and taste like $2, but... perhaps that will be a little reminder to remember to pack some healthy protein snacks next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment